Squaw Valley Statement Regards Customer Safety As Top Priority In Water Issue

In response to the announcement that coliform bacteria and E. coli had been detected in the drinking water at Squaw Valley’s upper mountain, Squaw Valley issued an extended statement regarding the important health issue.



The potential issue had been reported to the Placer County Department of Environmental Health on November 8th. After it had been reported, the water began getting treatment and is showing consistent improvements. Seventy-five prevent of the wells at the resort are showing no E. coli and only low levels of coliform present.



Restaurants have been closed at Squaw Valley since the issue was first detected, but mountain recreation has remained open. Skiers are not permitted to drink the water until all of the water issues are resolved and absolutely no health issues have been reported thus far.



On November 30th, the Public Relations Director of Squaw Valley made an official statement to the press and the public. Liesl Kenney claimed that there was an abnormally heavy rain store that occurred in October that had affected multiple water systems within Placer County. The heavy storm led to an inundation of a water system that had been installed the past summer in Squaw Valley. He claimed that the water contamination was limited to only that system and that the water was at no time made available to the public.



While conducting routine testing of their water systems, the issue was detected and the proper authorities were contacted, including the Squaw Valley Public Service District and Placer County Environmental Health. Squaw Valley also made immediate actions to address the water issue by consulting other leading water safety experts. The resort believes that with all of the help they are receiving from experts, this issue should be fixed promptly and they will not rest until it is done.



Kenney also assured the public and press that the safety of Squaw Valley’s customers and employees is their top priority. The resort is taking this issue very seriously, and until the issue is completely resolved, customers will still have access to their facilities and will be provided with free bottled water to drink.